This article explains how to configure an IIS website that contains content saved on a shared storage. In this example, a new website and specific user are configured for this purpose. To configure the IIS website, proceed as follows:
You have installed Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012 as the operating system on your server.
You have logged in as an administrator.
Creating a User:
- Open the server manager.
- Click Tools > Computer Management.
- Click Local Users and Groups > Users.
- In the menu bar, click Action > New User.
The New User window opens.
- Enter the desired user name in the User Name field.
- In the Password field, enter your desired password and repeat it.
- Deactivate the option User must change password at next logon.
- Activate the option User cannot change password.
- Activate the option Password never expires.
- Click Create.
The user has been created.
- Click Close.
Adding Shared Storage Access Data to the User Account and Administrator Account:
- Open the prompt.
- To allow the user to access the shared storage, enter the access data in the following format:
runas /user:usrsite1 "cmdkey /add:vid12345.pre1.lan /user:pre1\uid12345 /pass:********"
- To allow the administrator to access the shared storage, enter the access data in the following format:
cmdkey /add:vid12345.pre1.lan /user:pre1\uid12345 /pass:********
Creating a Website in the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager:
- Open the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- In the left navigation bar, right-click the Sites node in the Connections section.
- Click Add Website.
- In the Site name field, enter the appropriate site name.
- Optional: Click Select.
- Optional: Select the application pool in the Application pool list.
The name of the website and name of the selected application pool must be identical!
- Optional: Click OK.
- In the Physical path field, enter the CIFS path for the shared storage in the following format:
- In the IP address list, select the IP address of your server.
- Click OK.
The website has been configured and can be accessed using the IP address of the server. The shared storage is used as webspace.
Permitting Access to the Website Table of Contents:
- Click the newly created website below Connections > Sites.
- Double-click Authentication.
- Right-click Anonymous Authentication.
- Click Edit.
- Activate the Application pool identity option.
- Click OK.
The configured user is used as an application pool identity.
Configuring the Application Pool:
If a new website has been created, a new application pool with the same name is created. To configure the new application pool, proceed as follows:
In the left navigation bar, right-click the Application Pools node in the Connections section.
Right-click the Application Pools node.
Click Advanced Settings.
The Advanced Settings window opens.
Click ... next to the Identity entry.
The Application Pool Identity window opens.
Activate the Custom account option.
- Enter the user name of the account that you created.
- Enter the desired password and repeat it.
- Click OK.
- In the Advanced Settings window, click the cell next to the Load User Profile entry.
- Select the value True from the list.
- Click on OK
The application pool has been configured.