Setting Up and Managing DNS Templates
DNS templates allow you to quickly and easily add DNS records to your domains. Templates allow you to add multiple DNS records at once rather than adding each record individually to each domain.
- You use the DNS Pro feature.
Opening the DNS Template Overview
The template overview allows you quick access to the various template functions.
- Log in to your IONOS account.
- Click on the Domain & SSL tile.
- In the Portfolio area, click on DNS Pro > DNS Template Overview.
Creating a Template
- Open the Template overview.
- Click Add or Create Now if this is the first template.
- Enter the name under which you want to manage the template.
- Optional: Enter a description.
- Click Create.
An empty template will be created. Then, the Edit view of the template will open, which is where you can manage the DNS records contained in the template.
In the Template Overview, either click on the name or select the pencil icon on the right. Several options are available:
- Add Record: Add another DNS record to your template. The following record types are supported: A, AAAA, CNAME, MX, SRV, SPF (TXT), TXT
- Edit Record: Change an existing DNS record.
- Delete Record: Remove a DNS record from the template.
- Change template name: Update the name or the description text of the template.
To apply a template to a domain, proceed as follows:
- Open the DNS template overview.
- Click on the arrow symbol at the desired template.
The DNS records contained in the template are displayed.
- To apply the template, click Apply Template.
Our system now checks whether there are DNS records that are overwritten by the template. If this is the case, a list of the records concerned is displayed. You can then agree to the changes by clicking Apply Template again.