Disclaimer: The information provided by IONOS, Inc. on this page is offered only as a general information service to the public. Because each issue or situation is different and unique, each person should seek their own legal advice for their particular situation from competent legal counsel.
The ownership of a domain is contractually regulated and can be a part of inheritance. As an inheriting person, company, or association, you can take over ownership of a domain, request its deletion, or transfer it to a third party. This article explains how to proceed.
The documents required for taking over ownership differ between Personal and Business accounts. However, this may be difficult to find out without access to the IONOS account in question.
The easiest way to find out whether the account is set up as a Business account is by checking for a Business Name field in the account's Contact Details. If this field is not shown, it is a Personal account. Additionally, the business name will be listed on invoices.
Having trouble determining which type of account it is?
Domain Holder Had a Personal Account
IONOS requires a copy of the death certificate AND one of the following:
- Short certificate, which indicates that the individual is the executor of the deceased customer's will, or letters of administration, indicating that a court has given the individual the authority to administer the estate of a customer who died without a will
- Clear request for cancellation/ownership/transfer (i.e. “Please cancel” written on payment reminder or letter)
Domain Holder Had a Business Account
The following documents are required:
- Copy of the death certificate
- Notarized Executor of Estate or Power of Attorney document
- Clear and detailed request for cancellation/ownership/transfer
- Business documentation (i.e. business license, articles of incorporation, charter, or meeting minutes)
- Request from an official at the associated business (i.e. CFO, CEO, President, Owner, or another person who is recorded on the business documentation above)
Did this article help you?
Your feedback helps us to further improve our services. To leave feedback, log in to your IONOS account by clicking on the login button at the top right. You can then submit a rating below the article.