By activating two-factor authentication (2FA), the use of HiDrive is only possible after logging in with two independent components (factors). These are your username/password combination and a numeric code generated by an authentication app at the time of your login. This article explains how to set up two-factor authentication to very effectively secure your HiDrive account.
Generating the Numerical Code
To generate the second factor in the form of a one-time password (OTP: One Time Password), an additional app is required. These OTP apps are available from different manufacturers for all of the most common computer and smartphone operating systems, e.g. OTP Auth (iOS) and Microsoft Authenticator or Google Authenticator (Android).
Install the authentication app of your choice and create an entry for HiDrive. Then, perform the next steps in the Settings menu of HiDrive.
Activating and Deactivating in HiDrive
- Open the HiDrive web app in your browser.
- In the left menu bar, go to Settings > Two-factor authentication and click the Pen icon.
- If necessary, close the information window about the saved email address with Next. Another window then opens with the configuration information for your OTP app.
- Scan the displayed QR code with your OTP app.
Alternatively: Enter the displayed key (Secret) in the OTP app and adjust the type to Time-based.
- Complete the configuration in the OTP app. Your HiDrive entry will now continuously generate numeric codes.
- Transfer the six-digit numeric code displayed in the OTP app into the HiDrive Verify Code field. Your successful setup will be confirmed in a new window.
After the two-factor authentication has been activated, the numerical code from your OTP app will also be requested when logging in to HiDrive after entering the user name and password.
To disable two-factor authentication, open the HiDrive settings. Click on the Pen icon as described in Step 2 above. After confirming with the Deactivate button, the two-factor authentication for this HiDrive account will be disabled.
Protocol Usage with Two-Factor Authentication
To use a HiDrive account secured with two-factor authentication with protocols such as rsync, append the numeric code from your OTP app directly to the password with a colon. In the example below, the password is g3he1m and the numeric code from the authentication app is 123456.
Please note that a numeric code is only valid for 30 minutes. After this time, a new numerical code must be entered. For recurring accesses, such as data backups, it is recommended that you use a HiDrive user without two-factor authentication active.