For Web Hosting packages
When you set up the SSL certificate, you will receive your personal private key. The certificate is then applied for at DigiCert (GeoTrust) and issued to the desired domain after successful validation.
- Your package contains an uninstalled, user-managed
GeoTrust True BusinessID SSL certificate with EV ( SSL Premium)
- Your domain and the website to be secured are in the same hosting package.
- Your domain is ready (Status: Active).
Log in to IONOS and select the relevant contract.
In the Domains pane, click Manage SSL Certificates.
Your IONOS Domain Center opens. Click Not set up for the desired certificate.
In the Domain Assignment area, select the domain or subdomain you want to secure.
Make sure that the stored contact data of your company and the administrative contact person (Admin-C) is up-to-date. To update it, click in the appropriate field and then change the record as desired.
Please note: Any company name change you make at this point will also be transmitted to the WHOIS database and is therefore publicly visible. Please always store the telephone number in international format. The country code is indicated by a + (plus) in front of it.
Click Set Up SSL Certificate.
Click Download Private Key and save the key on your computer.
Please note: Keep the private key safe, because you cannot use the SSL certificate without a private key. For security reasons, the private key is not stored by IONOS or by DigiCert (GeoTrust) and cannot be requested again. In the event of loss, the SSL certificate must be reissued via SSL management (this generates a new key pair).
The SSL certificate is now requested from the certificate authority (CA). This checks the identity of the applying company as well as its owner rights to the domain. After final identity authentication, you can download and install the SSL Certificateon your server.
Hint: As long as the company validation is carried out by the certification authority, you can view the current status in your IONOS Domain Center at any time. Simply click on the corresponding certificate in the certificate list.
Stages of Validation - Briefly Explained
Validation by the certification body takes place in several steps:
- Company Authentication: The Certification Authority (GeoTrust) matches the company name, registration and security status of the company specified in the Certificate Signing Request with the appropriate registration authority of the country, state or (in some cases) the jurisdiction of the city. Public information is also looked up on the Internet.
- Domain Authentication: The certification authority checks whether the domain name in question is registered on the registered company name in a publicly accessible WHOIS database. If the domain name is not registered for the registered company name, alternative:
- A legally valid proof can be provided - proof of usage rights for the domain name can be provided, or additional documents can be provided.
- Telephone Verification: As final identity authentication, the certification authority calls the company contact specified in the domain whois. The call can also be answered by another person in the company.
If the certification authority does not reach anyone, either a voice message will be left on the contact's answering machine or an email will be sent by GeoTrust with further instructions. This includes information on how to contact the certification body to complete the verification.