With the free HiDrive app, you can use the functions of HiDrive from any device with a current Android operating system. This article introduces you to the different uses of the app.
If you instead would like to see the corresponding information for the iOS app, please see the article Using HiDrive with Your iPhone/iPad.
- HiDrive has been activated.
- The Android HiDrive app has been installed.
After starting the Android HiDrive app, your data will be displayed. You can open your files or folders simply by tapping on them.
Files and folders are displayed either as thumbnails or in lists. You can change the view layout by tapping the view settings icon at the top right of the menu bar.
- Open the Android HiDrive app.
- Tap and hold the desired item until the share icon appears at the top of the screen.
- Tap on the share icon. A context menu opens.
- Select one of the options offered to share the share link.
Please note that sharing multiple items at once in the app can only be done by sharing the corresponding folder. To do this, move all objects in a folder and share it. Alternatively, you can compress all of the files you want to share into a .zip file and share it instead.
An overview of all permitted shares can be found in the main menu on the left side of the screen under Shared.
Additional Sharing Options
Advanced sharing options are available by going to the Share Icon > Edit Sharing. For more details, see the article Sharing Files and Folders in HiDrive.
Use the settings to define the behavior of HiDrive in certain situations. Swipe from the left edge to the right to open Main Menu > Settings:
- Upload photos automatically: Photos and/or videos from your smartphone are automatically uploaded to HiDrive. For more information, see the article Backing up photos and videos to smartphone or tablet.
- Show file extensions: If this option is enabled, file extensions, such as PDF or JPG, will be displayed in the app.
- Show system folders: System folders are displayed. You can recognize them by the leading dot in their name.
- Show thumbnails: When enabled, thumbnails are displayed by default. This increases the usage of your data volume.
- Dark mode option: When dark mode is activated, the app background is displayed in dark. All other app colors will match.
- Encryption: Enables the encryption of data as described in the article Using HiDrive encryption (Android).
- Password protection: Secures your HiDrive app with a PIN code. This must be entered when starting the app to gain access.
- Transfer error reports: Transfers anonymous data on device type, operating system version and cause of crash when the app crashes.
- Transfer Usage Data: Helps IONOS to develop the app further by sending diagnostic app data.