For Web Hosting Packages
Learn how to set up an FTP connection with the text editor Notepad++ to edit files directly on the web space.
Since Notepad++ itself does not include any FTP functions, the NppFTP extension must be installed and set up. NppFTP is free and supports encryption via SFTP and FTPS.
Notepad++ has already been installed on your computer.
Install NppFTP extension
- Start Notepad++ and click in the menu on Plugins > Plugin Manager > Show Plugin Manager.
- Select NppFTP.
- Click on Install.
Alternatively, you can install the extension manually. Further information can be found here.
Create FTP profile
Now create a profile with your FTP access data:
- Select Plugins > NppFTP > Show NppFTP Window .
- Click on the gear in the icon bar and select Profile settings.
- In the Profiles section, click Add new.
- Enter the desired profile name.
- Click on OK to create the profile.
- On the Connection tab, enter your FTP data:
|Hostname||Your FTP server name. For example home123456789.1and1-data.host or access123456789.webspace-data.io|
|Connection type||SFTP (for Linux hosting) or FTPS (for Windows hosting)|
|Port||22 (for Linux hosting) or 21 (for Windows hosting)|
|Username||Your FTP username. For example u12345678 or u12345678-xxx|
|Password||The password of your FTP user.|
|Timeout||The time interval in seconds after which a connection is terminated if the server does not respond. The default setting is 30 seconds (recommended).|
|Initial remote directory||OPTIONAL: Opens and displays the contents of a specific sub-folder after connecting. Leave blank to show all files and sub-folders in the web space.|
- Click on the connection icon in the NppFTP menu bar.
- Select the previously created profile. The FTP connection is now established.
- You get an overview of the files on your web space and can double-click a file to edit it directly.
- The file opens in Notepad++ and you can make your changes.
- Saving the file will automatically uploaded the changes to the web space.
The first time a connection is established, the message that the host key is unknown appears. To allow the connection and save the key for future sessions, click Yes.