Two-factor authentication (2FA) increases the security of your IONOS account by adding an extra layer of security. To log in, you have to enter a code sent to your smartphone in addition to your password.
Please note that there is a separate article for two-factor authentication through the IONOS mobile app. Both confirmation methods (Authenticator App/IONOS Mobile App) can be used in parallel.
Using an Authenticator App
- Download the authentication app FreeOTP on your smartphone. Download: iOS, Android
You can also use other authentication apps, such as Google Authenticator for iOS or Android, if you prefer.
- Log in to your IONOS account.
- Go to My Account > Login & Account Security > Two-Step Verification and click the Set up now link in the Authenticator App tile.
- Scan the QR code with the FreeOTP app.
- On the 2-factor authentication page, click Confirm.
- Enter the 6-digit code from FreeOTP in the Enter code field and click Confirm.
- At the end of the activation process, a 16-digit recovery code is displayed. Keep this code in a safe place. See the next section, Using the recovery code, for more information.
Using the Recovery Code
At the end of the activation procedure, as described in the previous section Using an Authenticator App (TOTP), a 16-digit recovery code is displayed.
This recovery code removes the two-factor authentication for your IONOS account. Therefore, keep and use the recovery code as sensitively as any other credentials.
Remove 2FA in the following cases:
- You lack an internet connection on your smartphone.
- You have lost your smartphone.
- You have uninstalled the IONOS Mobile App.
Please note that the recovery code can only be used once. How to use the recovery code is explained in the article Deactivating Two-Factor Authentication.