Transfer Files Securely with FTP
For IONOS Web Hosting packages with webspace
Learn what FTP is and how you can use it to securely transfer files.
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and has been specially developed for transferring files between computers. This requires an FTP program. In web hosting, FTP is used for uploading or downloading files to your web space. This means that you can transfer the files required for your website, such as HTML files and photos, to the web space using an FTP program.
In order to keep your data secure during file transfers, the SFTP (for Linux hosting) and FTPS (for Windows hosting) variants of FTP should be used. Unlike normal FTP, the connection is secured using SSL encryption.
Set up Secure FTP Access
We show you how to set up your secure FTP access.
Save Connection Data in the FTP Program
To avoid having to re-enter your data every time, it makes sense to save the connection data in the FTP program.
- For Linux packages: Save SFTP access data in FileZilla
- For Windows packages: Save FTPS access data in WinSCP
Upload or Download Files
Copy files such as photos or web pages from your computer to the web space or Online Storageplace in your IONOS hosting package.
- For Linux contracts: Transfer files via SFTP with FileZilla
- For Windows contracts: Transfer files via FTPS with WinSCP
- The MyWebsite Creator does not have FTP access. Learn more.
- You have a IONOS domain or IONOS mail contract or another tariff without FTP access? You can switch to a hosting contract at any time to get FTP access.